Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I Must Write

I must write.

And if I must write, I may as well write something that will encourage and challenge someone else.  Hence, the purpose of this blog.


But just as a side-note, when I say, "I must write," I don't mean I am/was being forced to write.  I mean that I just have to write - like a horse has to neigh and a zebra has to have stripes.  It's part of who I am.


If you read my previous blog, The Great Adventure, you may be wondering at the duplicate name.  It's not that I'm trying to be unimaginative.  Instead, the phrase "the great adventure" encapsulates much of my outlook on life.  I named my first blog The Great Adventure because I believed that life was one grand adventure.  I still believe that.  And so this blog is also called The Great Adventure.


If I'm going to be entirely honest, I have to tell you that the phrase "the great adventure" didn't originate with me.  It is the title of one of my favorite songs of all time, The Great Adventure, by Steven Curtis Chapman.  It has been one of my life theme songs since I first heard it, six or seven years ago:


Saddle up your horses!


(Verse 1)

Started out this morning in the usual way
Chasing thoughts inside my head
Of all I had to do today
Another time around the circle
Try to make it better than the last

I opened up my Bible

And I read about me
Said I'd been a prisoner
And God's grace had set me free
And somewhere between the pages
It hit me like a lightning bolt
I saw a big frontier in from of me
And I heard somebody say, "Let's go!"

(CHORUS)

Saddle up your horses
We've got a trail to blaze
Through the wild blue yonder
Of God's amazing grace
Let's follow our Leader
Into the glorious unknown
This is life like no other
This is the great adventure

(Verse 2)

Come on get ready
For the ride of your life
Gonna leave long-faced religion
In a cloud of dust behind
And discover all the new horizons
Just waiting to be explored
This is what we were created for

(Bridge)

We'll travel over
Over mountains so high
We'll go through valleys below
Still through it all
We'll find that
This is the greatest journey
That the human heart will ever see
The love of God will take us far
Beyond our wildest dreams

Yeah... oh saddle up your horses... come on get ready to ride


(Words and music by Steven Curtis Chapman and Geoff Moore)


It is my hope that, in reading my thoughts on this great adventure of life, you will be encouraged and challenged to love life and to take it by the horns, living a life fully abandoned to Jesus Christ.


~M.

No comments:

Post a Comment